In 1965, Miquel Serra Clar, the company founder, a mechanic by trade, a man deeply in love with the sea, inherited, along with his wife, Miquela Ferrer Salom, a small fishing llaüt named "Largo Tiempo" ("Long Time" because of the time it took to be built). The llaüt is 5.60m in length (28 palms - according to the nautical argot of the Illes Balears-), built in Santanyí in 1939.
The principal fishing grounds were the Archipelago de Cabrera, which Miquel and his family frequented with their craft in spring and summer.
In 1970, they traded their llaüt "Largo Tiempo" for the "Piscis" 6.60m in length (33 palms), built by Antonio Obrador in Felanitx in 1953, and continued to fish using traditional methods. During the 1970's the Archipelago de Cabrera was under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Defence.
More than 50 years of local maritime tradition and love for our natural environment
Maritime military transports were contracted to Cía. Trasmediterránea (from Puerto de Palma) and D. Jeroni Barceló (from Puerto de la Colònia de Sant Jordi), who covered the line with his llaüt "Colom", 10.20m in length (51 palms), built in the Colònia de Sant Jordi in 1912.
One day, in the Puerto de Cabrera, Jeroni Barceló casually offered to cede the line to Miquel Serra. Thus, in August 1976, Miquel Serra provisionally began to provide transport because of the illness of Barceló. Jeroni Barceló died on November 17, 1976 and Miquel Serra bought the llaüt "Colom" from his heirs, signing his first transport contract with the Ministry of Defence in February 1977.
With the llaüt "Colom" he made small weekly shipments, supplying food and fuel, while Cía. Trasmediterranea dealt with larger shipments. These larger shipments, once in Puerto de Cabrera, had to be transferred to the "Colom" since the larger ships could not directly dock in the port due to the existing infrastructure of the time.
During these years, fishing trips were organised with the llaüt on spring weekends with the people of the area, "oblades" fishermen who spent the day on the islets of the Archipelago.
In summer months, larger, group excursions of up to 20 people began to visit the Cabrera and bathe in "Sa Cova Blava". La Cía. Trasmediterránea ceased its military transports from Puerto de Palma in December 1983. To make up this lack of transport, Miquel Serra and his family decided to buy a larger boat in the spring of 1984.
They reached an agreement with the owners of the excursion boat "Debarivi" (a company made up of four partners whose names combined to give the boat a name - Dezcallar, Bauzá, Rigo, Vidal-). The wooden "Debarivi", some 16.50m in length, built by the Bennàssar Shipyards of Puerto de Alcúdia in 1965, offered excursions of the Archipelago to foreign tourists during summer months.
With the purchase of this boat, excursions to Cabrera began, not only with foreign tourists but with Spanish tourists as well. In 1986 the motors and structure of the "Debarivi" were renovated and, in the face of increased demand, a new boat was also built.
Thus began, in 1989, the new boat "L´Imperial-Jet". Constructed by the Ramis & Ramis Shipyards of Palma, this fibreglass boat, 15.15m in length, with the same capacity and similar size as the "Debarivi", began to offer excursions to the "Sa Cova Blava". The Serra Ferrer family decided against the added profits a larger craft would have provided in order to preserve the character of the initial excursions to the Cabrera.
In 1994, a faster boat was needed, and the 10.50m in length "Colom II" was built for urgent transports, group excursions, diving trips, maritime rescues, etc, while the llaüt "Colom" returned to private use.
In 1999 the company of Miquel Serra Clar changed its name to Excursions a Cabrera, and continues to be run by the Serra Ferrer family.